Friday, May 14, 2010

detachment


For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6:21

Radical change is only possible when you're willing to let it happen. Being willing involves a certain level of detachment from the things of this world - of both material things and relationships. Jesus always made me nervous when he told his disciples just what they would have to leave to follow him:

21Another disciple said to him, "Lord, first let me go and bury my father."
 22But Jesus told him, "Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead."
Matthew 8:21-22 

37"Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; 38and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
Matthew 10:37-39

Jesus replied, " 'Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, 19honor your father and mother,' and 'love your neighbor as yourself.'"
 20"All these I have kept," the young man said. "What do I still lack?"
 21Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."
Matthew 19:18-21

I always thought to myself "but God would never really ask me to leave my family." The reality is that I don't know what God is going to ask me to leave behind in my future, but I need to be ready for whatever that will be. The only way that's possible is to maintain a level of detachment from what I care the most about. That doesn't mean that I won't invest time and energy into people and causes, but there needs to be a space between my heart and my grip on them. And in that space, God dwells.

No comments:

Post a Comment