Tuesday, December 14, 2010

friends


real friends are
people who make you feel happy to be alive
they support you and encourage you and give you grace
real friends look for ways to show you they care
people you can be yourself with and have fun
they offer forgiveness freely
they reflect Christ by showing you his love

real friends are not
people who put you down
people who call attention to all of your missteps
those that give you their time and attention circumstantially


something that I've learned in college is that I do not have to worry about being friends with everyone
there is something to be said about being considerate and caring for everyone around you
but time and energy are gifts that you cannot give everyone
a wise friend told me during my sophomore year at college that you have to choose a few people to invest in. people who are reliable and who are willing and able to be a good friend to you.

I have been blessed with real friends at Calvin.
and the more I think about leaving next semester the more I realize how good God has been to me.
I'm thankful for my freshman year Bible study in the dorms
for second (and third) Eldersveld
for our Croc, Mexico group of 2009
for the three roommates I've had
for the girls I take home every fall
for my Bittersweet ladies and fellow Shauna Neiquist fans
and for the people I grew to know and love this past summer, those I worked with and lived with.

Calvin College has given me a true sense of the word community and I wouldn't trade it for the world



God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.



Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

--Reinhold Niebuhr

No comments:

Post a Comment